Next Steps after Initial Meeting
When you receive confirmation for a meeting with the qualified dyslexia screener, be prepared for the following:
There needs to be sufficient evidence to justify screening, therefore:
1. The qualified dyslexia screener will meet with the parents for at least 1-2 hours to gather a complete genetic, developmental, and educational history of the child.
2. Checklist to bring at the time of the meeting with the qualified screener:
all copies of report cards for all years of schooling
any other testing done by either private or public institutions
at least 4 or more copies of uncorrected handwriting samples (preferably a mixture of spelling and journal type writing)
make a list of the gifts and strengths of your child
3. Only if the qualified dyslexia screener finds enough indirect evidence of dyslexia at the end of the parent interview, then the qualified dyslexia screener will set up at time of screening.
4. The dyslexia screener will give you the time and location of the screening, and further instructions will be given at that point.
5. The screening will last 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
There is no single test that can prove or disprove dyslexia. Dyslexia can vary from mild to moderate to severe to profound, which is why a professional will use a combination of 10 to 12 tests to investigate every area that could be impacted by dyslexia.
It is more important that every area be investigated than the names of the specific tests. Many tests have been developed that can be used to investigate each of the following areas:
6. It takes approximately 2-3 weeks to write the report. A follow up appointment will be made to go over the results of the screening and the proper remediation.
Price - Similar specific professional dyslexia screenings in Northern Colorado cost up to $2000 and more. Because of the generosity of faithful partners, I am able to offer the same screening for $495 with optional payment plans. Additional scholarships are available based on financial need and if funds are available.
Contact Sue Bridgman for Tutoring - Sue Bridgman 970-405-4967