Scholarships will be given to those families who need financial help for dyslexia tutoring services. Those services may include dyslexia screening and dyslexia tutoring. All potential recipients must fill out an application at which point the Bridging the Gaps Board will determine who is eligible, who will receive the reward, and how much that reward will be based on a set of criteria including various needs.
Meet the Board!
80's Fundraiser Party Photos
Special Thanks to:
All donors who gave, provided items, and came out to show support
American Legion - Windsor
Mike & Danette Haag Organizers & Volunteers
Perry Buck - Colorado State Representative for attending
Mrs. Windsor & Mrs. Fort Collins for volunteering
The Mayor of Windsor for attending
Board Members of Bridging the Gaps Dyslexia Center
Mr. Mark Bridgman who supports my passion to help dyslexic children succeed
Stats & Facts
•1 in 5 of all people worldwide have dyslexia. – Dr. Sally Shaywitz, Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity.
• 8.5 Million American students have dyslexia. – Research Excellence and Advancements for Dyslexia Act (READ Act) (H.R. 3033)
• 85% of students with Learning Disabilities have dyslexia.
• Only 68% of students with Learning Disabilities leave high school with a regular diploma while 19% drop out and 12% receive a certificate of completion.
• 85% of youth in juvenile detention facilities have disabilities that make them eligible for special education services, yet only 37% receive these services while in school. – National Council on Disabilities. June 18, 2015. Breaking the School-to- Prison Pipeline For Students with Disabilities.
• 80% of prison inmates in Texas are functionally illiterate. 48% have dyslexia. – Prevalence of Dyslexia Among Texas Prison Inmates. Moody KC, et al Tex Med 2000.
• Students with learning disabilities like dyslexia have a three times higher risk of attempting suicide. – Suicidality, School Dropout and Reading Problems Among Adolescents. Journal of Learning Disabilities, vol. 39,6: pp 507-514. First published Nov. 1 2006.
• 89% of suicide notes have dyslexic-type spellings in them. – Learning Disabilities and Adolescent Suicide. Journal of Learning Disabilities, Vol. 30, 6: pp 652-659. Published first Nov. 1, 1997. (Decoding Dyslexia TN, n.d.)